org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Eingabe/Ausgabe-Fehler {0} beim Senden an das Backend
Sven Hütten
2005-09-15 14:12:38 UTC
Hello Postgresql Friends,

i have a problem with postgresql 8.0.3. My Application use the function
getColumns of DatabaseMetaData. When i start the application the function
will go for some times, but the the function produces errors. Here my
Stacktrace. I have no idea. With SAPDB my program is ok.

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Eingabe/Ausgabe-Fehler {0} beim Senden an
das Backend.
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:201)

at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.j
ava:389)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2St
atement.java:314)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeQuery(AbstractJdbc2Statem
ent.java:221)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2DatabaseMetaData.getMaxNameLength(Abstract
Jdbc2DatabaseMetaData.java:81)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2DatabaseMetaData.getColumns(AbstractJdbc2D
atabaseMetaData.java:2382)

My code:

DatabaseMetaData metaData = connection.getMetaData();
ResultSet result = metaData.getColumns("",schema,table,"");

Has anybody a solution for my problem?

Best regards

Sven Hütten

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster
Dave Cramer

Sven Hütten
2005-09-15 17:31:00 UTC
We build querys dynamicly (mapping) with the information of the metadatas in
our framework.

Here are the important sql-commands to insert a data row in our framework:

Statement stmt =
connection.createStatement(ResultSet.TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE,ResultSet.CONCU
R_READ_ONLY);
DatabaseMetaData metaData = connection.getMetaData();
ResultSet result = metaData.getColumns("",schema,table,"");
PreparedStatement ps = dbConnection.prepareStatement(dynamicQuery);
ParameterMetaData meta = ps.getParameterMetaData();
dbConnection.executePreparedStatement(ps);
stmt.close();

Sven Hütten

Eingabe/Ausgabe-Fehler {0} beim Senden an das Backend

Hi,

subscribe-nomail command to ***@postgresql.org so that your
Dave Cramer
2005-09-15 18:02:46 UTC
Sven,

Well, seeing as your query is dynamic, we will have to rely on the
server logs
can you look through your logs and find the query that fails?

Dave
Sven Hütten
2005-09-15 18:23:32 UTC
Hello Dave,

the exception is generated by metaData.getColumns("",schema,table,"");.

Is it a problem, if i open a statement and a perparedStatement?

Best regards

Sven Hütten

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
Oliver Jowett
2005-09-15 21:12:44 UTC
Post by Sven Hütten
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Eingabe/Ausgabe-Fehler {0} beim Senden an
das Backend.
Is there a nested exception also reported? This is a generic "I/O error
occurred" exception that doesn't give us much info.

-O

subscribe-nomail command to ***@postgresql.org so that your
Sven Hütten
2005-09-16 16:15:21 UTC
Hello,

now, i have logged the cause of the PSQLException. Here are the stacktrace:

java.io.IOException: Stream closed
at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.ensureOpen(StreamEncoder.java:38)
at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.flush(StreamEncoder.java:151)
at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.flush(OutputStreamWriter.java:213)
at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.flush(PGStream.java:493)
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.sendSync(QueryExecutorImpl.java:631
)
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:174)

http://archives.postgresql.org
Oliver Jowett
2005-09-16 21:03:27 UTC
Post by Sven Hütten
java.io.IOException: Stream closed
at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.ensureOpen(StreamEncoder.java:38)
The two most likely options here are:

- you are closing the Connection, then trying to use an object created
from it such as a Statement; or
- you are ignoring a fatal SQLException thrown by an earlier operation
that is causing the Connection to be automatically closed.

-O

match